Sunday, July 6, 2014

Rapper Kel: ‘Being a female rapper in Nigeria puts you under so much pressure’

Rapper Kelechi Ohia aka Kel in a new interview with Punch explains why she has been off the music scene for a while and denied claims that she was broke……..The rapper was popular with her singles like, Wa Wa Alright and You too fine, and Give it to me featuring W4.

Read Excerpts below:

“I am working on other projects which are all entertainment related. Although I haven’t recorded any new song lately, I am working to release a come-back album before the year runs out. I have only stepped aside to take care of my education
and to sort out pending issues with my former records label. I want to work on my music and myself, physically and mentally. But I am still in touch with the Nigerian music scene. Also, I am a brand ambassador for SOULMATE Industries.” “Rap will always be a looked down upon as a music genre in Nigeria. The truth is that only two
percent of the country’s population really appreciates rap music for what it is. Being a
female rapper in Nigeria puts you under so much pressure, but I won’t be switching genres when I return. I just want to release my new album as a surprise. I am not signed on to any records label because I run my own label and won’t be signing
on any artiste for now,” she said. For now the artiste who made her last public
outing as the co-host of ‘One Mic Naija’ in February, confessed that she was in love with the music style of fellow rapper cum producer whomshe describes as the ‘new’ Jesse Jagz. She seemed to have grown wiser when she spoke about learning some lessons during her absence from the music scene.

“I used to read what was written about me, become saddened and sometimes cry. But I have moved on. Now I read and laugh a lot, shake my head, and sometimes share jokes with friends. I have grown wiser and stronger and more comfortable and honest with who I am. Experience has taught me a lot and I have learnt that nobody will look out for you like you can. “Right now, I will make music that is raw and real.. I miss performing on stage. Some people said I left because I was broke and started a family somewhere. But they are all wrong. I am dedicated to my work and music for now. I won’t be releasing a double album because that will be too much music at once. Nigerian artistes are doing well especially on the international level.

No comments:

Post a Comment